In this episode I’ll explain why, after having done the Leadership Success Call solely as a live event for months, I’ve officially turned it into a podcast. We also had a great discussion about how to become a better salesperson and sales leader with my friend and career sales professional/leader, Jim Abraham.
No Live call next Thursday, November 1st
I’ll be traveling at noon that day and won’t be able to host the live call. I’ll be back in two weeks, so feel free to join us.
- Easy updates: Before, I was just uploading the mp3s to my website so you had to go there to listen or read about the topic. Podcasting gives us all an easier way to listen. I’ll still be posting the recording and written summary to my site, but you can also get automatic updates in iTunes or Blackberry (Zune hopefully to come soon).
- Growth: Podcasting is another way to reach people. I think a lot of the conversations we have on the call are valuable so I want them to reach more people. Some people like to read, some like to listen. There are people that may find the podcast before they’d ever stumble on the blog.
Please note, although this is now a podcast, I’ll still do the live call every Thursday at noon (except this upcoming Thursday) so people can call in with questions and comments. I remain committed to growing the community and invite you to join us any time you wish.
Become a Better Salesperson and Sales Leader, with guest Jim Abraham
By definition, all leaders are sales professionals. We could be selling our vision to our teams, ideas to our coworkers, or products or services directly to our customers. We discussed how to become a better salesperson and sales leader.
Here are some of the things you’ll discover from my conversation with Jim:
- Why we are all salespeople
- Goal setting and planning are critical to effective selling
- Simple sales vs. complex sales, and how to approach them
- Why good listeners and problem solvers make the best salespeople
- How to understand your customer’s deepest feelings, fears, and stress points
- Benefits trump features, every time
- Sales funnel vs. the hourglass
- Relationship sales vs. traditional closers
- More elevator conversations, less elevator pitches
- Your defining statement and its role in the selling process
- Stories are the best way to sell when done well
- The sales environment has fundamentally changed in the past 30 years
- What it takes to lead a sales team
Recommended Sales Resources
Although we were cut off at the end of the live call, I caught up with Jim later and we put together a list of great sales books and resources.
- Anthony Iannarino’s Sales Blog
- Michael Port’s Blog
- Selling the Right Way, Prayerfully, God’s Way, by our guest Jim Abraham
- Book Yourself Solid, by Michael Port
- Pitch Anything, by Oren Klaff
- SPIN Selling, by Neil Rackham
- The Advantage, by Patrick Lencioni (not as much about sales, but still an important book)
Join us for the live weekly call (but not next week)
These free, weekly, interactive sessions are for leaders who want to learn, grow, and help create more leaders. People call in to offer opinions, ask questions, and inspire others to live and lead with more success. It would be great if you joined us for the next live call in two weeks or, you can leave a comment below.
Thank you to everyone who calls in each week.