I starting this episode by telling my story about how I found it very difficult to graduate myself from one level of my career to the next. I held on to comfortable tasks and projects for too long and didn’t take enough risks. I was afraid of commencement.
For Young Leaders
- Recognize where you need to grow. It starts with self-awareness and making an honest assessment of where you need to be.
- Be aware of what you tend to hold on to and what makes you comfortable. You may need to stop doing this stuff.
- Ask for help.
- Start becoming what you need to be. Take more risks and make mistakes.
For Leaders of Young Leaders
- Realize that most young professionals start out just trying to find right answers, avoid being wrong and please you.
- You’ll have to help move them along. You can do this with regular feedback and quarterly or semi-annual reviews.
- Set expectations about the need to make these transitions. Some will resist more than others. Help where you need, but start by telling them what you expect.
- Allow them to make mistakes. You know that higher level jobs don’t have an instruction manual, but they don’t.
Resources Mentioned In The Podcast
I Appreciate Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoy this podcast, it would mean a lot to me if you would head over to iTunes and give it a rating or a review. These ratings carry a lot of weight and will help make this podcast more visible to more people. Thank you if you’ve already done this!