The more I write posts or record podcasts, I keep coming back to a consistent theme:
The foundation of great leadership is self awareness
I really think it’s that simple.
Three big reasons to be more self aware:
- You want a positive impact on others, so you must pay attention to understand the impact you’re having
- Your followers will mimic you, both the good and the bad, so you must choose how you conduct yourself
- You need to humble yourself to know your limits so you know where you should spend your time and where you should ask for help
Becoming more self aware comes down to two basic things: caring and asking.
Care enough to pay attention to how what you say and do impacts other people.
Care enough to ask for feedback. Ask for where you’re going wrong as a leader.
And then care enough to take responsibility for it. Leaders don’t blame others for their shortcomings or mistakes.
Resources Mentioned In The Podcast
- Article: The #1 Discipline of Great Leadership
- Article: 5 Ways Leaders Can Become More Self Aware
- Article: Tenured Doesn’t Mean Qualified
- Podcast: Episode #024 Themes for 2013 and Flying Closer to the Sun
I Appreciate Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoy this podcast, it would mean a lot to me if you would head over to iTunes and give it a rating or a review. These ratings carry a lot of weight and will help make this podcast more visible to more people. Thank you if you’ve already done this!