This podcast kicked off almost exactly one year ago. Episode #001 was a nice intro to leadership but I’ve never really talked about what “leadership success” means, until now.
To me, leadership success has six major components:
1. Professional and Personal
Being a leader is part of being human. Leading is a way of living, not just working.
2. Positive Impact on People
It’s about impact – not tenure, power, money or title.
3. Achieving Results
I don’t talk much about results here because I think it already gets its fair share in school and the working world. It doesn’t mean it’s not important.
4. The Long Term
Everyone has bad and good weeks, months and years. Success as a leader should be measured over the long term.
5. Taking Risks
Leading often means being out in front, being exposed, taking risks and always means being responsible for the bad. Leaders do it anyway.
6. Creating More Leaders
At the end of your career and life, when you look back, what became of the people you had the privilege to lead? Did they become leaders of people, thought leaders, innovators and people of integrity? Can you be proud of what they became, and did you help them get there? What is the ripple effect of your legacy?
- Podcast: Leaders of People
- Podcast: Jackie Robinson and Impact
- Podcast: The Most Important Leadership Position You’ll Ever Hold
- Article: When Stats and Averages Don’t Matter
- Article: Financial Gain Comes From …
- Article: 3 Reasons to Take Risks in The Face of Discouragement
- Article: Do You Make These 10 Leadership Mistakes?
I Appreciate Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoy this podcast, it would mean a lot to me if you would head over to iTunes and give it a rating or a review. These ratings carry a lot of weight and will help make this podcast more visible to more people. Thank you if you’ve already done this!