Hello, I’m David Mariano. I am a Director with Western Reserve Partners, a middle market investment bank in Cleveland, OH. I’ve had an interesting career, most of which has been spent working with business owners, CEOs, CFOs and Heads of Business Development as an advisor, part-owner and/or business leader.
This is my personal website. I use this space to create content that can help business owners and leaders create more wealth for themselves, their customers and their employees. I write articles, record podcasts and create videos to encourage, inspire, educate and challenge you on issues of leadership, people, sales & marketing and personal development. I have many other interests, including faith, family and music and will occasionally create content in those areas.
I know I’m not a fit for everyone and I’m OK with that – if you stick around, I promise you’ll discover a horse of a different color. An accountant friend once told me that I was the only investment banker who, within the first few minutes of meeting him, didn’t bring up the market or jargon like ‘leverage’, ‘multiples’ or ‘synergies’. And I might be the only investment banker in the world who started in the industry when he was 19 years old, founded a music studio, sings like this, enjoys home improvement and tries to follow Jesus.
Most of my content ties back to leadership in some way. Often it has to do with leading and growing businesses but other times it relates to personal leadership. I have many other interests, including faith, family and music and will occasionally create content in those areas.
Sign up below to stay informed each time I publish something new.
I am currently focused on a new project called Finance Career Launch. Finance Career Launch is a mixed media mentoring experience for young financial professionals eager to advance their careers. We all want and need mentors (especially early in our careers) but they seem impossible to find. At the same time, many senior professionals are approached for advice but they often don’t have the capacity – Finance Career Launch fills this void. If you are someone trying to advance your career in finance or if you are looking for a place to send ambitious young professionals, click here to learn more.
I also created, hosted and produced the Leadership Success Podcast for approximately 60 episodes. It was a diverse podcast with topics ranging from leadership to finance to sales to productivity. Some episodes were a monologue format and others featured guests. You can still listen to all of the episodes in iTunes or Stitcher.
My Professional Bio
I returned to Western Reserve Partners after starting and running two businesses for a couple years. I spent three years in a variety of roles at a local manufacturer where I was involved with business analysis, marketing, business development, strategy development, management, and operations. Otherwise, I’ve spent most of my career advising companies on corporate strategy, finance, mergers, and acquisitions. I have a B.S. in Accountancy from Case Western Reserve University.
Here are some of the details:
Western Reserve Partners, Director & Head of Buy-Side Practice (current)
- I help companies design and implement acquisition strategies
- Our role includes identifying and contacting candidates, valuation, due diligence, negotiations and closing.
David P. Mariano & Associates, Founder/Owner, Business & Leadership Coach
- I provided leadership & business coaching and specialized in small service businesses
- I focused on leadership issues, productivity, personnel changes and sales & marketing.
InTune Studios, Founder/Owner, Guitar & Voice Instructor
I started this business to help aspiring adult musicians learn to play guitar and sing. The lessons were designed to be more enjoyable and about the interests of the student, instead of traditional music instruction that pushes people away that don’t “get it” quickly or who want to just have fun
I created Guitar For Busy Professionals (GFBP) as an alternative to traditional lessons. GFBP included convenient lesson locations and custom instruction based on the musical taste of busy, working professionals.
The Horsburgh & Scott Co.,
General Manager-Parts; Director of Finance & Administration-Industrial Repair
- Responsible for all aspects of the Aftermarket Parts business (~$5MM), including strategy, sales, margins, customer service, on-time delivery, process improvements, and staffing
- Prepared monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasts and budgets for the Industrial Repair Business (~$20MM) and assisted with other administrative improvements in billing, AR collection, and inventory tracking
- Coordinated the due diligence and analysis of several acquisition opportunities; responsible for financial integration, talent improvement, marketing upgrades
Manager of Financial Planning & Analysis
- Prepared regular forecasts and budgets for the management team and investor group (2 private equity funds)
- Worked with small focus groups, which included staff from the senior management, finance, manufacturing, engineering, quality, sales and customer service teams, to improve margin performance, cost allocation, operational efficiency, working capital management, and the capital budgeting process
- Led the analytical support team for wind energy capital projects and new business ventures
- Led and managed all marketing efforts in 2010, including a complete website redesign
Western Reserve Partners LLC, Director – Vice President – Associate
- Managed day-to-day activity of transaction teams, client relationships and evolving deal strategy, and assisted in negotiations with buyers/investors for merger and acquisition transactions and financings
- First junior banker recruited to help build a new, middle-market investment bank; established and executed the firm’s recruiting strategy and served as the primary training and educational resource for junior bankers
National City Corporation | McDonald Investments, Inc. (now KeyBanc Capital Markets), Associate – Analyst
- Prepared marketing materials & complex financial models (valuation, merger and financing), conducted due diligence, and helped execute the marketing process for sale and divestiture engagements
- Key startup team member for the new group at National City when our Managing Director was recruited to build the business
My Personal Background and Interests
I live near Cleveland, Ohio with my beautiful and talented wife, Heather and our two adorable kids. I grew up in Braintree, MA and moved to Cleveland in 1997 to attend Case Western Reserve University. This great city has provided me great friends, an exciting career and I have always felt I belong in Cleveland.
We enjoy the music and food in Cleveland and are always looking for new spots. I enjoy staying in shape (running/Crossfit/yoga), working on our 115 year-old house, reading, writing, cooking and spending lots of time with our friends and family.
I try to be as active in the community as possible:
- CollegeNow Greater Cleveland
Mentor to a Student
- United Way of Greater Cleveland
Campaign Cabinet Team Member
- CityEdge Christian Church
Financial Advisor to the Lead Minister
Band: guitar & lead vocals
Member of the Startup Team
- The Cleveland BoyChoir (merged with The Music Settlement)
Board Member & Treasurer (previous)
- Frequent speaker on panels or other student events at Case Western Reserve University / Weatherhead School of Management
- Current and past volunteer for community events, including Great Strides Walk for Cystic Fibrosis, Lakewood Arts Festival, Weapons of Mass Creation and On The Map
According to the StrengthsFinder 2.0 assessment my top five strengths are (as of 2011):
- Achiever: I work hard and enjoy being busy and productive; new projects energize me
- Relator: I love people, especially others who want to learn and improve; I am open and honest about who I am
- Learner: I love to learn and want to continuously improve; I am always reading, watching or listening to something new
- Responsibility: I take ‘psychological ownership’ of what I say I will do; I value honesty and integrity in myself and I expect it from others
- Discipline: I like being organized and working on the most important things; I prioritize and try to stick to it
This is my personal blog. The opinions I express here do not necessarily represent those of my employer. The information I provide is on an as-is basis. I make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this blog and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its use.