On The Business
How to build a thriving service organization that lasts
Being an advisor or capital provider has its perks. You have the privilege of providing insights and guidance to business owners, CEOs and CFOs. The work is intellectually stimulating and every day is a unique challenge. You are influential in your community. With attractive billings, fees and rates you can live the lifestyle you want.
You have it all, right?
In reality, client work is rarely easy and most people don’t understand how difficult it is to:
- maintain the competitive edge and reputation required to win and keep ideal clients
- attract and retain a talented and productive team
- motivate a group of confident, intelligent and independent individuals to run in the same direction
I continue to see so many advisors and capital providers having these same issues – losing business they think they should win, losing their best people, internal confusion over strategic direction … the list goes on. And If you’re like the rest of us, most of your time is spent on client work and you can’t find the time to work on your own business – on the “other” stuff that can make your business thrive and truly successful now and for many years to come.
This is the reason I started On The Business. On The Business is a premium newsletter delivered twice a month by email, designed to help you address the areas of your business that drive results – Leadership, Talent and Sales & Marketing. Here is what you’ll see in each issue:
1. Feature Article: researched and written by yours truly, I’ll dig in to a specific topic related to leadership, talent or sales & marketing. I read a lot but I’ll only share the best stuff with you. Here’s a bit about the editorial selection process:
- Leadership: Whether headed for ruin or riches, a firm’s fate is determined by the quality of its leadership. Leadership is the fuel that can propel an entire firm into success versus existing as a few talented individuals or anecdotal customer wins. The evidence is indisputable – a group of people aligned by an inspirational purpose, consistent values and a desirable culture can achieve mind-boggling results.
- Talent: As a service organization you only have your people. Acknowledging this is one thing, but spending ample time on attraction, training and retention is another. The research proves that if you give your team members what they want (no, not just money) they will give your customers what they want and you will get what you want.
- Sales & Marketing: Professional services are some of the most competitive fields in business. Technical competence is not enough – there is no shortage of people who do what you do, clients are sophisticated buyers and the sale process is long and complex. We’ll explore how to be most effective in today’s digital-first, increasingly transparent and hyper-connected economy so you can attract and retain your ideal clients.
2. Selected Shorts: while the Feature Article delves into a narrow topic, these short sections will provide a few high quality links to inspire new ideas, a fresh perspective or a simple reminder for the other areas of your business.
If this sounds useful to you, please sign up below and l’ll send you the most recent issue.
Not sure? Remember, On The Business is free. If you aren’t finding great ideas in each issue you can unsubscribe anytime. What’s the worst that could happen?
Invest in the important stuff –
On The Business
Get the very best tips, trends, stories, and research about
leadership, talent and sales & marketing – without the nonsense.