In case you missed it, here is a summary of the Leadership Success Call for July 12, 2012.
We all encounter resistance when we try to do something significant in life. The only way to beat it is to go through it.
Here are some of the points we discussed:
The Resistance is anything (excuses, distraction, fear, rationalization, procrastination, etc.) that gets in our way of doing something important, significant or brilliant.
- The more important the work, the stronger The Resistance
- It hits hardest when starting and finishing
Full disclosure, I didn’t make up the term Resistance. You should check out The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield (affiliate link). It will wake you up to The Resistance and motivate you to shut it up!
Everyone has these moments, big and small
- We all think about doing something bigger than what we are currently doing
- We’ve all said “what if … I wish I could … someday”
This Resistance character must be beaten
- We do this by what Steven Pressfield calls “Turning Pro”
- It’s that day when you say, “screw it, I’m going to do this thing … I’m tired of just talking about it … I need to DO something”
- Turning pro means sitting down and doing the work … you see Resistance, spit it in the eye and keeping making progress (affiliate link)
We can all beat it, and need to
- We all have some genius inside and it needs to come out
- We all have dreams we’re pushing aside and can’t afford to wonder “what if” at the end of our lives
- We owe it to the world to offer everything we have; our kids, our friends, our co-workers, and any other people who hear our stories will be better off
I launched these Free, interactive sessions for leaders who want to learn, grow, and help create other leaders. People call in to offer opinions, ask questions, and inspire others to live and lead with more success.
Feel free to join the discussion.
We’d love to hear your insights and questions.