I’m tired of “we’ve always done it this way” as a reason for sticking with a certain business practice. This “way” is rarely the best and is usually just an excuse to avoid doing the hard work of coming up with something better.
REWORK is well known in design and tech circles but I think it’s even more important for leaders of traditional businesses. The chapters are short, edgy and in your face. It goes against all the traditional advice. The long business plans, the raising of money, the hiring of people.
REWORK contains innovative ideas and approaches to starting a business, growing, productivity, hiring, competition, marketing, and culture.
Some of my favorite topics include:
- Perfect is a myth, shoot for good enough
- Ignore the competition
- Leaders taking ownership of the good, bad and ugly
- Planning is guessing (my financially-oriented friends will love this chapter)
- The illness of pursuing growth for it’s own sake
- Throw aside traditional hiring criteria and look for real contributors
- Workaholism, meetings, leadership, and how culture is truly created
REWORK will challenge you to think in new ways. It will push you to do things differently. I highly recommend you pick up a copy if you want things to change.