In this episode I put my money where my mouth is, get vulnerable and talk about depression and its prevalence among executives and other leaders.
It Hits Hard At The Top
You may be surprised to hear (I was) that an estimated 25%+ of high-level executives suffer from some form of depression. This is a big issue and not enough people are talking about it. There are still too many people dealing with it alone and in the dark because it’s too “taboo” to discuss in public.
What To Do?
Every person who deals with a form of depression gets hit differently and has to deal with it differently. I share some practices which have worked for me and some others.
As I mention in the episode, please reach out to me if you want to talk. I certainly can’t heal or treat you, but maybe we can start something cool together.
Don’t forget to check out some of the resources below – that’s where the really good stuff is this week.
- Article: Even CEOs Get The Blues (Psychology Today)
- Article: Executive Depression: It’s More Than Lonely at the Top (ASAE)
- Article: Faces of Depression: Philip Burguieres (PBS)
- Article: Regroup Successful, by Brad Feld
- Article: Let’s Talk About Depression With Chris Brogan, by Amy Clover
- Article: Every Time I Talk About Depression – Being Brave, by Chris Brogan
- Article: CEO Battles Depression, Encourages Parity in Insurance Coverage
- Article: Grim Reminder On Mental Illness; Detroit Executive’s Bouts With Depression (NY Times)
- Podcast: Know Your Limits
- Podcast: Work & Rest
- Podcast: The Venerable Vulnerable Leader
I Appreciate Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoy this podcast, it would mean a lot to me if you would head over to iTunes and give it a rating or a review. These ratings carry a lot of weight and will help make this podcast more visible to more people. Thank you if you’ve already done this!