Normally we use these special episodes of Finance Career Launch to discuss a particular skill, habit or mindset that will help you own your career. This episode will be a bit different (and longer) because it explores how to help you find the career in finance that fits you best.
If you are already in a role that you love and know it is for you, definitely feel free to skip this episode and listen to another one of your favorite podcasts. But if you’re uncertain of which role is right for you, if you are changing careers or if you are just exploring for now, maybe this will be useful. I am confident that there is a career in finance that will fit your work style, personality, compensation requirements and other pieces of you that you may not be considering.
Take some time to ponder these questions and send me an email to let me know what you think. It is by no means exhaustive, but let me know if it helps.
Which Career in Finance Is Right For You?
- Do you want to be an advisor?
- Do you want to advise on peoples’s individual financial picture, business owners, or even other financial institutions or investment groups?
- Do you enjoy public equity markets, real estate, insurance?
- Do you enjoy being involved in the day-to-day fluctuations of the market?
- Do you think like an investor or a lender?
- Do you enjoy sales or are you a quant-jock?
- Do you want to be involved in transactional work or are you a long-term thinker?
- Do you enjoy having clients or do you want to be involved in an internal finance role?
- Are you able to develop strong and defensible investment positions and can you communicate those to others?
- How much do you want to travel?
- What do you want your hours to be?
- Do you want to be paid for results or your ideas?
- Do you enjoy financial analysis, but want a predictable workflow or do you want a lot of variety?
- Do you want to be an advisor or an investor?
- Do you want to invest other people’s capital?
- What size organization do you want to work for?
- What type of city or town do you want to live in?
- Do you enjoy analyzing the past or predicting the future?
- Do you want to work more in teams or independently?
- Are you able to be unbiased and objective or do you want to sell a product or service?
Let me know what you think about this episode – was it helpful? Do you want more detail to help answer these questions? Send me an email and let me know if or how this has helped!
Music by Elijah from NOMADS