Making a big career move or change can be intimidating. But with the right preparation and guidance you can make your next career move successful.
This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll cover a question that isn’t necessarily from one listener, but one that I get often from many people.
It can be intimidating to make a career move, but know that other people (just like you) have done it before. People have moved into finance from a variety of backgrounds.
Take Alena Kerins and Sophia Bera – each was studying acting and now Alena is a CFO and Sophia is a financial planner. My friend Angelo went from engineering to investment banking to VP of Finance for a healthcare services company.
You can make a big career move and be less intimidated if you keeping moving forward and take the 3 steps I talk about in the show.
In this episode:
- What small projects will do for your confidence and knowledge
- How classes can get you to that next step
- Using your personal, professional and alumni networks to explore your next career move
- Having informational sessions to learn and grow your network in the most productive way
- Why you need to do desktop research and get out there and talk to people
- Following up with great questions and learning as you go
- Pruning your unsupportive “friends” and family, even just for a short period of time
- Why you can’t listen you the negative voices around you
Music by Elijah from NOMADS