Whether with customers, co-workers or tired toddlers, many conversations in our lives include an aspect of negotiation. If you want these interactions to be successful, make sure you adopt these four qualities of a good negotiator.
This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll cover a few of the qualities found in a good negotiator.
It took me a long time to realize that many interactions in our personal and professional lives are negotiations. A negotiation is, simply
a discussion aimed at reaching agreement.
Whether we like it or not, we are all negotiators.
If this is true, then we need to learn how to become the best negotiators we can be.
It starts with understanding some of the qualities of a good negotiator.
In this episode:
- Why preparation is critical to a successful negotiation
- The elements of preparing to negotiate
- Generating multiple solutions to the problem before the official negotiation
- Why you need to consider an alternative outcome (if an agreement cannot be reached)
- When to be firm and when to be flexible
- Why having high emotional intelligence could be your secret weapon
- Being able to articulate your needs/wants in a way that is heard
- An aspect of communication that you mustn’t forget
Music by Elijah from NOMADS