Over the past few decades the role of ‘leader’ has degenerated into something similar to rockstar or celebrity status. Thankfully, things are changing. People are refocusing on fundamental traits of great leaders, and most of these principles are thousands of years old.
This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll cover six traits of great leaders.
I reflected on all the leaders from my work and life experience, took what made them successful, and distilled it down into six characteristics and traits. These principles will make us more effective and will expand our influence.
- Make character a top priority
- Lead with a servant’s heart
- Be led by and lead with a compelling vision
- Have equal parts humility and confidence
- Consistently improve communication
- Empower and raise up other leaders
Honestly though, no one is perfect. It would be impossible to be a “Perfect 10″ in all of these areas. But if we want to become great leaders, we must pursue mastery of these six principles. Besides, our teams deserve it.
In this episode:
- One thing that will guarantee our failure as leaders
- People pay attention to everything the leader does – character is key
- It’s not about the leader
- What is more important than financial results, reputation, or anything else
- Taking personal responsibility for the success and failure of other people
- We know where we’re going because our vision is crystal clear
- Our vision addresses all stakeholders and inspires people to think bigger every day
- Being steadfast in pursuit of our vision and not getting distracted by other things
- Why people follow great leaders
- How true confidence is demonstrated
- The one skill that helps a great leader mobilize other people
- Why great leaders don’t run from tough conversations
- The greatest thing any leader can do
Music by Elijah from NOMADS