When you find a career path you love, you’ll probably want to find a way to get up the learning curve as fast as possible. Believe it or not, you can often accelerate your learning curve by looking outside your field.
This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll cover a listener question from Anna about accelerating the learning curve.
Anna is starting a new position and wrote:
I am a business major but not finance so I am trying to learn as much as possible about the field.
You may not be starting a new position, but most people want to know how to learn more, faster so you can get promoted and advance.
The obvious first step is to talk to people in your field. Learn from what they’ve done well and from where they’ve made mistakes.
You can also read books or trade publications, if there are any. Read for understanding and to gain confidence, then go out and try things.
Talking to people, reading and doing are great teachers. You will learn a lot
But a great way to accelerate that learning curve is to look outside your field.
In this episode:
- Where to start learning about a new field
- Who you should talk to about your new position to accelerate your learning curve
- Why looking outside your field is a smart thing to do
- The types of questions you should be asking
- Using your network as if you are searching for a job
- Gaining a 360 degree view of your role
- Accelerating your learning curve while building your network
Music by Elijah from NOMADS