Ever felt you’ve been stuck on a career plateau? Sadly, many people have. It’s been proven time and time again that you can get unstuck, but I’d rather avoid that pesky plateau all together. Listen in to learn how.
This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today’s topic isn’t based on a question from a specific listener, but it is a struggle I hear about all too often: the career plateau.
Career plateaus tend to sneak up on you. You start your career with high hopes. You work hard, get really good at your job, and maybe even get promoted a few times. But one day you wake up and realize you don’t know what is next.
The next level seems so out of reach (if you can see it at all) that you begin to doubt your ability. You wonder if you’ll ever get out. You’re on the career plateau.
Just you, all alone.
I know too many people who have felt this way and I don’t want that to be you. In my mind, the best way to not feel stuck is to do everything you can to avoid getting stuck in the first place.
In this episode:
- Start with the cold, harsh truth that your job is temporary
- The mindset of constantly evolving and looking for a better future vs. job hopping
- Avoiding the career plateau by working on your weaker skills (not talking about time-based experience)
- The type of person who rarely ends up on a career plateau
- What special projects and cross-functional teams will do for your career
- Career cross-training to stay sharp
- The value of a good mentor
Music by Elijah from NOMADS