Many career changers and job seekers want help with their resume before they are really ready. Here are some things you need to do before writing your resume.
This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll cover a few things you need to do before writing your resume.
Remember, the goal of the resume is to get your foot in the door. It gives you a chance to shine in person.
If you want to get those in-person opportunities, your resume needs to be a marketing document not a list of tasks. It needs to tell a story. In order to tell the best story possible, your resume needs to:
- Be customized for the position
- Show you understand the role
- Prove you have what it takes
In this episode:
- The single goal of your resume
- What a resume is and what it is not
- How to use your resume to tell a story
- What you can do to make your resume stand out
- Why your resume needs to be targeted at a specific finance job
- How to research your desired finance job
- Why it is important to determine your strengths
- How to find out if you are a fit for a particular role
- Getting feedback on your resume and iterating from there
- The importance of confirming what you think you know about a finance job and also finding out what you don’t know
Music by Elijah from NOMADS