Today’s conversation is a bit different than what you typically hear here. Our guest is not a finance professional but you will relate to his work, whether you are 22 or 62. Marc Miller is a public speaker, an author of several books and the founder of CareerPivot, one of the top 100 career websites on the Forbes list. Marc’s career journey includes 22 years at IBM, several thriving tech startups, a painful stint as a high school teacher, a gig raising funds for the Jewish Community Association of Austin and a near fatal bicycle accident that changed his perspective forever.
I stumbled on Marc’s site last year and became fascinated with some of his recent work around the multigenerational workforce. He originally focused on career pivoting for baby boomers, but has since broadened his scope to include all generations.
Marc and I kind of just jumped into the conversation immediately and we covered a wide range of topics, so listen carefully for our discussions on adapting to other communication styles, redefining the meaning of retirement and, especially if you are younger, his perspective on the multigenerational workforce.
In this episode we discuss:
- What different generations were told about how to be successful and what they really want
- Three generational approaches to work (and why they have all been flawed)
- Historical perspective on the evolution of resume content
- How a college education no longer promises a career
- Adapting to the communication styles of other generations (if you want to be effective)
- The only way to know how people prefer to communicate is to ask them
- Seeking understanding when communicating with others
- Playing the “game” of being extroverted
- Redefining the meaning of retirement
- The need and opportunity for all of us to reinvent ourselves over the course of our careers
- What to do when your are multi-talented and don’t have a single passion
- Marc Miller’s LinkedIn Profile
- Repurpose Your Career by Marc Miller
- Personal Branding For Boomers by Marc Miller
- Quiet by Susan Cain
- Puttylike – A Home for Multipotentialites!
- The Great Generational Shift: Why The Differences Between Generations Will Reshape Your Workplace
Music by Elijah from NOMADS