If you are trying to decide which finance career is right for you, look no further. Our guest today has experience in investment banking, private equity and as a CFO. We discuss each in detail and talk about how to decide which is right for you.
How do you decide which finance career is right for you? This conversation with Matthew Turk might help.
Matt is a rare breed. He began his career as an investment banker with Bank of America and then joined Brockway Moran & Partners, a middle market private equity firm. Driven by his interest and the need for help, Matt moved into the CFO roles for two Brockway Moran portfolio companies. Matt is now a Principal with Blue Sea Capital, a middle market private equity firm that spun out of Brockway Moran.
Matt is still a young guy but you wouldn’t know it based on his experience. We talk, in detail, about each stop along his career journey and then discuss how you can decide which finance career is right for you.
In this episode:
- Matt’s journey from college to investment banking to private equity
- Why a blue collar background can be helpful when you get into the real world
- No matter how famous or not famous your school, chances are high that at least one alumnus has made it to the position that you want (even investment banking)
- How private equity can give you a more well-rounded view of a company
- The benefits of having a servant attitude, even if you are part owner as a private equity investor
- What it is like to become a first-time CFO within a private equity owned business
- An accounting degree vs. a finance degree when becoming a CFO
- How asking questions can compensate for an initial lack of knowledge
- Differences between larger and smaller private equity firms
- Why private equity professionals usually need to be more hands-on with lower middle market companies
- How to decide which finance career is right for you (at least between investment banking, private equity or internal corporate finance)
- Yet another opinion on why or why not to get an MBA
- The challenges of finding a work-life balance in your finance career
Music by Elijah from NOMADS