Having the opportunity to lead people is exciting for many people. But what can you do to become a great leader? Here are some things to consider as a first-time leader.
This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll cover what to do as a first-time leader.
Getting to lead people is exciting for for many of us. It feels like such an achievement after working so hard for many years.
I remember how I felt as a first-time leader. I was no longer at the bottom of the barrel. I was relieved to have a team to help with the grinding work. I was excited to be in charge of the day-to-day. I was proud of my new status. In my mind, everything had changed.
But not the way it should have. I failed as a first-time leader because I didn’t realize a few key things about what it means to lead people.
In this episode:
- A lot changes when you become a leader for the first time, but not as much as you may think
- Leadership is a skill, not an in-born trait
- Becoming a great leader requires time, practice and a lot of mistakes
- The definition of leadership
- How a first-time leader can approach the role and relationship
- Three main responsibilities of a leader
- Why you should start growing other leaders as soon as you become one
- What to do first, as a first-time leader
- The role of vision, values and goals
- Why the leader shouldn’t make all the decisions
- The importance of regular communication to a team
Music by Elijah from NOMADS