Getting a raise or a promotion has to do with a lot more than the quality of your work. Are you taking the appropriate steps?
Our guest today is Michael Merrill. Michael is the founder of The Velocity Labs and he helps people use psychology and systems to accelerate their careers. You will enjoy this conversation because Michael has such an approachable way about him. He is just so darn likable! But also listen closely to what he has to say, because he has already achieved a lot in his career and still has many years left. I think my favorite thing about his career journey is that it begins with selling women’s shoes and ends (so far) with his being one of the youngest executives at Disney.
Make sure you pick up a copy of Michael’s book (no charge), Your Ultimate Guide to Get Promoted, Make More Money and Get the Respect You Deserve.
In this episode:
- How career opportunities can come from the most unlikely situations
- The importance of communicating your career goals on a regular basis
- Making the connection between what you want, and what other stakeholders in the company want
- The one person who knows what you want and who can drive your career forward
- Why common sense isn’t really common at all
- Regularly thinking about what you want in your career so you can communicate it
- Taking a relationship-first approach to career advancement
- Asking the question, “how can I serve you?”
- Not letting fear or a sense of entitlement get in the way of promotions and raises
- 7 keys to getting the promotions and raises you deserve
- The best time to start the career conversation with your boss
- Why understanding psychology can help you get ahead in your career
- Your Ultimate Guide to Get Promoted, Make More Money and Get the Respect You Deserve, by Michael Merrill
- Michael Merrill’s LinkedIn Profile
- 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class, by Steve Siebold
- How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie
- The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg
Music by Elijah from NOMADS