This is another special episode of Finance Career Launch where we cover a particular skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll be discussing three ways to get the most out of your work experiences (both good and bad).
For this discussion we’re focused on work, both full-time positions and internships, but it also applies to how you view and treat your college and graduate school experiences. On top of becoming good at your job, being a good person or even working on many of the principals covered in The 7 Pillars of a Successful Career in Finance video series, it is important to get to know people throughout the organization, focus on leaving your mark and appreciate the unpleasant experiences and failures as much as the fun and successes.
In this episode we cover:
- How relationships and a broad business understanding can help you get the most out of your work experiences
- Why it is critical to get to know people in other functional areas (listen to Episode 011 for further discussion)
- The importance of maintaining connections long after you have left a position
- Striving to make positive contributions without expecting anything in return
- How it will benefit you to bring external resources and relationships into your current situation
- Appreciating the unpleasant experiences and failures as much as the fun and successes in order to get the most out of your work experiences
- Learning the most during the challenging times, although it is often difficult to realize it in the moment
- Enjoying the good times and being thankful for growth because they don’t last forever and not everyone gets to experience it
Music by Elijah from NOMADS