This is another special episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a particular skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll cover the other side – we’ll be digging into an example of a sales and networking mistake you’ll want to avoid at all costs.
As we discussed in Episode 014: The Time is Now – Start Networking, it is good to think about your approach when networking. It is good to have goals. But we have to make sure that the goal we’re pursuing, the magnitude of the ask, the timing and the way we approach the conversation or interaction matches the depth of relationship we already have.
In this episode we cover:
- A networking mistake you can’t afford to make
- Negative implications of the old bait and switch technique when selling (or in any interaction)
- The simplicity of building relationships by making and keeping commitments
- Appropriate timing of selling or making the ask
- Why selling to early seems selfish or desperate (neither is good)
Music by Elijah from NOMADS