This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a particular skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll be answering a question from one of our listeners. Jerome is an international student and wants to get into investment banking.
It sounds like he is working on his permanent residency and plans to go to business school in a year. I couldn’t tell from his email whether he is in school now or is working, but he asks two questions:
- I’d love for you to recommend few schools to consider?
- What should I do in order to land an investment banking career considering that I have no experience in this area?
I’m probably not the best person to ask about grad school since I didn’t go, but it sounds like a great next step for his situation. There are many schools that can get you to your goal but I think it is important to find one that fits you and will give you a shot at banking.
In this episode:
- The various ways an MBA can help you get into investment banking
- Brand name MBA programs vs. the others
- Why my alma mater, Case Western Reserve University, is a particularly good choice for international students
- Making the most of your work experiences and taking advantage of the opportunities during graduate school
- Similarities between pivoting into finance from a non-finance background and breaking into investment banking
- Honestly assessing your skills and capabilities to ensure that you can do well in investment banking
- Ensuring you have a compelling finance resume and one that is free of mistakes
- Investing time to practice your answers, your pitch, your reasons for why you want to do it and why you should be considered
- Assembling a list of contacts who can help educate you and build your network
- Creating a disciplined contact plan (don’t forget to follow up!)
- Podcast: Transitioning from the Middle Market to a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank
- Podcast: What do Engineering, Investment Banking and Corporate Finance Have in Common?
- Podcast: Life as a Private Equity Investor
- Podcast: Making the Most of Your Career Decisions and Education
Music by Elijah from NOMADS