This conversation might sound familiar – it’s about transitioning from a middle market investment bank to the bulge bracket. I decided to re-run one of the most popular and useful episodes as many of us in the U.S. take it easy today. Happy 4th of July!
Bob Lauria has spent his entire career as an investment banker. His transaction experience ranges from traditional M&A to restructuring and bankruptcy, and he currently raises debt financing for growing companies with Piper Jaffray. He has been a career banker, yes, but he brings a unique perspective because he is one of the few people I know who has worked for a middle market investment bank and then made the switch to the bulge bracket.
In this episode:
- Why the need to start with a large firm out of college is a myth
- The real story on the differences between a bulge bracket and a middle market investment bank
- How an investment bank raises debt capital for a client
- What skills you need to be a successful banker
- Observing how others approach situations, but then morphing it into your own style
- Balancing technical skills and communication skills
- Why decisions made in the financial world are much simpler than you may think
- The value of an MBA for certain people
Music by Elijah from NOMADS