We all have doubts and insecurities, but how you deal with these issues can make or break your career. Make sure that your mindset – which only you can control – isn’t sabotaging your career (or life).
This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll cover a question from one of our listeners, Charmaine, about the role of mindset in our careers.
My biggest weakness is communication. This only applies outside of work. I’m awesome at work but when I get in a professional or school environment I get really nervous. It effects the way I speak and a lot of times I remain quiet because I’m afraid of being embarrassed.
At first glance, Charmaine’s issue seems to be about communication. But it really has to do with mindset.
Our mindset is everything, and sometimes it’s more powerful than we’d like to to be. The good news is that, when we understand the impact mindset has on our lives, we can shape and re-shape it to our advantage.
In this episode:
- Reasons you need to join Toastmasters International
- Why all personal growth begins with mindset
- The damaging effects to believing you have to prove something all the time
- Feeling inferior is just a lie in your head which only you can eliminate (although you may have learned it from someone else)
- How we can self-sabotage ourselves when we fear certain people or situations
- Why you don’t ever have to prove yourself to someone else
- Career Advancement from Passion, Persistence and a Great Attitude (Ep. 053)
- The power of belief
- Why it is healthy to view certain situations as practice, and to believe in your heart and soul that you can get better with hard work
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, by Carol Dweck
Music by Elijah from NOMADS