If you have any doubts about the future of your career because of where you are now, don’t. Very few people have a predictable career path. If you aren’t yet where you want to be, keep navigating your career toward it. You never know where the road might take you.
Many people are looking to make a career change. Navigating your career can be nerve-racking enough, never mind when you feel you don’t have the right experience or if you’re being pigeon-holed based on your current role.
While big changes can be difficult and often take hard work and persistence, I usually encourage people to give it a shot if I think they can do it (even if they don’t believe it yet). One of the reasons I have this optimism if because I have seen, time and time again, people make large shifts in life.
Today’s guest is one of the best examples yet. Ben Martinek is a fee-only financial planner with Bona Fide Finance (a firm he founded), but definitely didn’t start there. Out of high school he decided to take a vow of poverty and entered into a religious community to serve others. Years later, he and his wife decided to become an over-the-road truck driving team before Ben dove into finance as a career.
In this episode:
- The life of a fee-only financial planner in the current economy
- How Ben went from 4 years in a religious community to a career in financial planning
- Lessons learned while living the religious life (and how it still influences his personal and professional life today)
- How certain experiences can lead you in new directions when navigating your career
- Humankind’s struggle to simplify
- How we all have to deal with money as a finite resource
- Getting creative when you decide it’s time to eliminate your debt
- How Ben and his wife became a team of over-the-road truck drivers
- The genesis of the financial planning industry
- The challenges of building a fee-only financial planning business
- How your confidence can grow through a willingness to live an unconventional life and make choices outside the norm
- Ben Martinek’s LinkedIn Profile
- The XY Planning Network
- Rich Dad Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki
- Your Money or Your Life, Vicki Robin
- Total Money Makeover, by Dave Ramsey
- Radical Personal Finance
- The Meb Faber Show [Podcast]
Music by Elijah from NOMADS