This is another special episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a particular skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll cover a listener question about how to pivot into a finance career from a non-financial background.
In this episode we cover:
- Why not to be discouraged by others when pursuing a finance career, regardless of your background
- How an MBA can make this type of career pivot a little easier
- Using your classmates and professors to research the possible careers in finance
- The financial and professional rewards that come from deciding which segment of finance is best for you
- Brainstorming about why your diverse background is really valuable to people … since it is!
- When preparing your resume, quantify as many points as possible
- Being tactical when networking with your alumni contacts from your MBA and/or undergraduate programs
- How to increase the chances of someone calling you back or responding to your email
- Keeping track of every detail and sending hand-written thank you notes
- Approaching these conversations as fact-finding missions for your finance career
Music by Elijah from NOMADS