This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a particular skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your finance career. Today I’ll be answering a question from one of our listeners, Mat.
Mat and I wrote back and forth a few times but his core question was:
Aside from finance, I have a huge interest in aviation. Can you recommend any ways I can include both aviation and finance in my career?
You may not share Mat’s interest in aviation, but you may have an interest in another industry. No matter what you love, you can be in that industry and have a great finance career. That is one of the many great things about being in a functional area needed by every business.
When I answered Mat, I broke it down into six major categories. There are definitely others (for example, I didn’t even mention private equity or other industry-focused investors), but in my mind these are some of the big ones:
- Large manufacturer or component supplier (also look at the retail angle if it applies to your industry)
- Large investment bank with specialized industry groups
- Large commercial bank that serves specific industries (may overlap with #2)
- Boutique investment bank with a true industry expert
- Independent equity research firm that covers your favorite industry
- Consulting firm with a financial practice and industry specialists
In this episode:
- Why you need to evaluate the health of your favorite industry (overall) and the health of each part of the value chain
- How to find a finance career that overlaps with your favorite industry
- Roles at a large investment bank or commercial bank that intersect with your passion
- Opportunities with independent equity research firms or boutique investment banks
- Why consulting might even give you a career in finance in your favorite industry
Music by Elijah from NOMADS