I am often asked, ‘how can I stand out from other candidates?’, or ‘how can I differentiate myself from other applicants?’. Differentiation comes down to three key things.
This is another short, mid-week episode of Finance Career Launch where we discuss a skill, habit or mindset that will help you advance your career in finance. Today we’ll be discussing how to stand out from other candidates when going for a new job.
There is some planning and preparation that goes into this process, but it comes down to three key things: doing great work, communicating your value to other people, and showing that your genuine, best self is a great fit.
In this episode:
- What it means to do great work
- Why you don’t need to get results 100% of the time
- The importance of taking initiative and having a bias for action
- Why your resume or application isn’t enough to help you stand out from other candidates
- The one scenario where your questions would be considered dumb questions
- Why working hard, being smart, having experience or passion just “check the box,” and will not make you stand out from other candidates
- The importance of showing people how your past can benefit their future
- Being your best (but genuine) self
- The paradox of confident humility and why it can differentiate you
- How to use special interests to connect on a personal level
- Letting your true personality show and not taking yourself too seriously
Music by Elijah from NOMADS